Does your computer have a Backup Towel?
Have you ever stepped out of the shower to find you didn’t have a towel handy! It can be a frightening experience to realize you are vulnerable, exposed and all wet.
This used to happen to me on occasion – particularly on wash day. Sure, we’d have clean towels, but they’d be somewhere else in the house waiting to be folded and neatly hung on the towel rod again.
I suppose that is why the movie Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy struck a chord with me when Ford exclaims: “If you want to survive out here, you’ve got to know where your towel is.”
A few years ago my creative wife solved the problem. We now have a set of “backup towels” near the shower. If we happened to be distracted while doing the wash, then find ourselves with a towel waiting to be folded, there’s no worries now about stepping out of the shower naked and unprepared! A simple, yet creative solution.
Do you have a backup towel?
Does your computer have a backup towel?
Okay, so your computer doesn’t need to bathe regularly, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t important to have a backup. Here are some quick-n-dirty ways of keeping your data safe:
- Working on an important document? Save versions of it regularly by simply adding 1, 2, 3, etc. to the filename.
- Email a document to yourself. Gmail is great for this – lots of free space and you’ll likely never fill it up!
- Use Windows’ (Linux, Mac O/S) free backup utility and backup to an External Hard Disk drive – less expensive than Tape and more reliable than CDs or DVDs. Need indestructible? Try IO Safe external hard drives.
- Use an online backup service. Personally I use DropBox (Click here for 2GB Free) and Mozy (Click here for a 2GB free version).
- Copy your treasured files to a Flash Drive and drop it in a Fire Safe.
- Running a small business? Use that Fire Safe at home for off-site backup storage and media rotation plan.
And don’t forget your towel!