Home of the Remote Tune-up
What happens when you combine world-class data centers with the Burgoyne family’s trustworthy reputation? You’ll get an Online Backup service that can’t be beat!
With Packages starting at just $10.00 per month for home users and $50.00 per month for businesses, you are sure to find a package that fits your needs. Click “10 Day Free Trial” to get started!
Need help restoring files? - We are there to help.
Click Call Me on the left, or Click Contact us for more details.
Virus and malware can completely disable Windows. What do you do when you get:
These are all signs of Malware and possibly a virus. See our updated DIY Tune-up for help with all of these scenarios.
1) Trying to speed up your computer can actually make it slower. If you install things like “Registry Booster”, “SpeedUpMyPC”, will SLOW your computer. They have marginal value and usually add spyware or malware. Stay away from anything that messes with your Registry! You’ll only make it worse.
2) Install Toolbars – Without paying attention you will get a toolbar added to your browser; AVG, Ask, MySearch, MyWebSearch, SmartSearch, AOL, Norton, Webshots, Bing, Incredimail, and even Google toolbars are useless and not worth the screen space they take up. Most are easily removed with Add/Remove Programs (Win XP) or Programs and Features (Win7). Your browser will search from the address bar now, so why would you need a toolbar?
Here is a good (bad) example – and I’ve seen worse!
3) Keep everything on your DeskTop. Every time you show your desktop it has to check all those files, folders and programs. This takes precious CPU time and hard drive access too. Keep your Desktop clean and you’ll feel the difference.
4) Two Anti-Virus programs (or more). So if one anti-virus software is good, two should be better?! WRONG! If you have two anti-virus programs installed they will fight each other and slow down your computer even more. Malwarebytes is the one exception… use it occasionally to catch malware that typical Anti-Virus programs can’t.
5) The WRONG Anti-virus program. Norton, AVG, McAfee, TrendMicro, and Kaspersky are some of the slowest programs on the market. NASA doesn’t use that much processing power to launch a shuttle, but most modern-day Anti-Virus programs take all the power you have. Stick with Microsoft Security Essentials – it is light on your computer, but heavy on viruses.
6) Install Free Software often brings Spyware, Adware, Malware – you may not even know you’ve got them. You collect them by poking around Facebook, surfing without purpose, and even installing toolbars and nifty utilities. Beware of “Free” – it really ain’t free! Cute icons for your email and IM… RUN!
7) Too little RAM is a BIG slow-down for any computer. Sure, when you bought the computer you thought it would be enough and to save money you chose to cut RAM. Bad idea. Cut hard drive size, trim CPU, but DON’T sacrifice your RAM.
8) Filling up your hard drive. Windows needs 10% to 15% of the hard drive available just to manage the data and swap out chunks of memory. With little space available it can dramatically reduce your computer speed. Defrag will help, but ultimately you’ll want to buy a bigger hard drive (since no one REALLY deletes anything).
9) Tolerate Slow Internet. For another $5 a month you can often double your DSL speed… well worth it when video streaming is so easy (bye-bye cable companies). Also, try turning off your DSL or Cable modem for a few minutes. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes for your ISPs equipment to “notice” a disconnect and try resetting the line. When you plug in back in it re-establishes the link and often solves nagging little slowness issues.
10) Hiring the wrong Technician. Be sure to hire Burgoyne Computers to keep your computer running it’s best… the remote Tune-Up Specialists.